The Edmonton Hispanic Bilingual Association remains dedicated, as it has been doing throughout over its 30 years, to one of its chief tasks: spreading information about the Hispanic world and promoting cultural social activities.
The community that makes up our organization consists of a wide range of stakeholders: current and former students, an organizational team (e.g. teachers, volunteers, staff), members of the Hispanic community in the city of Edmonton from different fields–artists, entrepreneurs, authorities or media, among others. On that account, our association tries hard to organize activities, so as to further bring our culture closer to our students learning experience.
Some of our events:
– Latin Gala Fiesta: This is a key event for our organization, bringing together a cross-section of the Hispanic community in the city of Edmonton. Drawing together between 400 and 500 people from all walks of life, this festive event takes place each early spring. It showcases our Hispanic culture in the music of our best local bands and DJs, and samples of local cuisine from various Latin countries.
– Special social events: Events are held in local venues, sharing meals with students and staff, or inviting folk groups from different Latin American countries.
– Hispanic refreshments are available halfway through class time, on Tuesdays and Saturdays. We prepare and offer coffee and Hispanic finger food from countries such as Chile, Mexico, Colombia, Argentina and others. Well known, popular dishes like tamales, pupusas, tacos, enchiladas, meat pies, are just but a few examples of the range of weekly gastronomic we offer at a great value.
-Visiting guests: Each term we usually invite local artists, dancing and music groups to visit our organization to make themselves known. Our objective is also to acknowledge and promote various cultural talents readily available
– And after class, more Spanish still: Once the class comes to an end at the school, many of our teachers and students meet at a nearby while to continue practicing Spanish over a drink or whatever.
– Conversational encounters Student groups spontaneously meet up to twice weekly meetings for language practice by themselves or occasionally in the company of a volunteering teacher. Some of these groups have become classic fixtures and ambassadors for our organization, friendships have been forged and still remain after decades. In the spirit of an authentic Spanish tertulia, they run without an agenda.
These weekly encounters for now happen:
– Every Wednesday at 7pm: Second Cup Cafe located in Oliver Square (11640 – 104th av – T5K2T7). Link to google maps direction.
– Every Saturday between 11 am and 1:00 pm: Second Cup Cafe located in the Whyte Avenue (10620 82 AvenueNorthwest-T6E 2A7).
– Educational Dissemination: Each year our organization receives visits from local personalities, generally international students in the educational (post-doctoral or international trade) and foreign correspondence requesting information or visit our facilities and have a touchdown for first hand how our program in general.
– Making friends: All along class time, these encounters, and social events, many of our students have come to share a sense of community. Put in their own words, EHBA has added a new dimension to their lives, socially and to their own person. It makes our association proud to have been partners in changing the life of our students.